Friday, September 23, 2011

Sleeping in the Closet

When our daughter Emily was little, she asked if she could sleep in her closet. My first impulse was to say NO, but I stopped myself and asked, "Why not?" I cut a foam pad to lay in the bottom. I scooted everything down to the other end and made a place for her little legs down that blind alley where nothing can be stored conveniently anyway. I called the fire department because after 2 months of this my dad said he was nervous about what would happen if there were a fire. The fireman on the phone said that no fireman worth his salt would ever leave a room without looking in the closet and that sleeping on the floor actually gave her protection and extra minutes from smoke inhalation. I insisted that during night-time hours the sliding door needed to remain open and she had no problem with that. Emily lived in her cozy little closet for about 6 months before making the move back to her bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment